Friday, January 15, 2010

Mahalo - Thank You Card

About two years ago my husband and I took a trip to Maui for a friend's wedding. We had never been to Hawaii before and we loved every minute we spent on the island. This card takes me right back to that special time.







This card was inspired by Bunnie800 over on the Quickutz Community Gallery she made a very similar card using a flower punch. To start I cut my flowers out of white cardstock. There are actually two sizes of flowers. They were then inked with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink. To create the curl to the petals I used a cuticle stick and/or a small dowel to wrap the petals around. (I used the cuticle stick for the small flowers and the dowel for the larger) Once I did that I sprayed them all with Tattered Angels in Pearl and added the pink gems from Hero Arts. Now you can't really tell in the photos but the background paper has a shimmer to it, it is from Brazzil. For my final step I cut out the sentiment using my Silhouette and a font called QK Marisa.


On the flowers, I had a really hard time getting the pink to look like I wanted and I ended up with a strange technique. I tried using a sponge, which made the ink blotchy. Next, I tried my ink blending tool from Inkssentials but that was giving me way too much color and a clear line in the ink. So, what I ended up doing was pouncing my pinkie on the ink pad and picking up ink and then dabbing that in the very center of the flower, then while the ink was still wet I used my ink blending tool to smooth the color outward towards the tips of the petals. Here is a close-up of the soft color. After that just a light spritz of glitter and we were ready to go.

All in all, this is a very simple card. It took me forever to really work out what I wanted and this time I managed to edit myself and go with less. I am thinking that I may have to make this card with yellow flowers. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for stopping by!

No comments: