Sunday, July 12, 2009

Soleil & Damask

The first card I am sharing today is a creation that I am calling Monsieur Soleil. A little tribute to a great Concrete Blonde song called Les Coeur Jumeaux.




This card was inspired by the Thinking Inking series. I began this card by cutting out the sun using my QuicKutz Silhouette Digital Craft Cutter. I used Basic Black cardstock form SU! Once I had that cut, I started coloring my sun with Adirondack Paint Dabbers in Gold and Copper, dabbing directly onto the cardstock. I then took my makeup sponge and moved the paint round until I had the effect I was looking for, in this case I wanted it slightly blended. I made sure to leave some places where you could see the cardstock through the paint, I let this air dry. Once the die was dry I rubbed Versamark Ink onto the sun and embossed with Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel, I let it cool and then repeated this process two additional times. You can see the effect in the lower image. In person this is a really neat look.



To create the background I started with a White piece of cardstock, I worked the following Ranger Distress Inks onto the cardstock; Antique Linen, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, and Walnut Stain. I use a Stampin' Up sponge cut into quarters and my craft sheet to get a smooth effect. I then stamped over the background with the French Script background stamp from Stampin' Up using Tea Dye. Once I ink up my stamp I take a baby wipe and take off some of the ink to give a bit more distress. I kept the negative image from when I cut out my sun and used this as a mask, I sponged with Frayed Burlap onto the background. The edge of the card was detailed with a Marvy Opaque Paint Marker in Gold. The brads are from embossed with Pirate Gold embossing powder from StampN Stuff. To finish off the card I distressed the edges of the main background and mounted it onto a piece of black cradstock.


Our next card today is one that has been floating around in my head for awhile. I am again really happy with how it turned out.




I started with a quarter-sheet for Summer Sun cardstock from Stampin' Up. I know that I have mentioned that I normally eschew working with black embossing powder, it just gets so sticky and gets everywhere!! In an attempt to work though my Black EP issues I have been making myself work with it. The image in the background is from Heidi Swapp. I inked it with Basic Black Craft ink and then embossed with the dreaded Black Embossing Powder, first making sure that was vigilant in my application of my Emboss Buddy. I shadow stamped the same image with Sahara Sand ink from SU. My next step was to add the shading, I made sure to work the color on the edges and over the damask images themselves. I started with Summer Sun and then moved into Marigold Morning, More Mustard and Basic Brown (all from Stampin' Up). I really kept the brown just on the edges. Once my ink set I did a little embellishing with Yellow and Clear Stickles. The ribbon is the black grosgrain ribbon from Stampin' Up. The Sentiment is from My Sentiments Exactly, stamped with Basic Black ink and Black EP. The flowers are from Prima Marketing and the centers are black gems from Hero Arts.

I have two more cards that I am going to get up a little later tonight. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: